We’re delighted to announce the release of Reikan FoCal 1.9.10 for Windows and Mac. This version adds support for the Canon EOS 7D Mark II.
Fixes and Improvements
The following is a list of the changes since the release of FoCal 1.9.9:
- NEW: Support for the Canon EOS 7D Mark II
- FIX: Fix to stop a crash which occurred if auto focus point selected was active during MultiPoint Focus Test
- MOD: Changed default Image Processing Mode to JPEG
Please take note of the Known Issues section below as there are a few subtle but important points to note when running tests with the 7D Mark II.
Software Support Status
The following table shows the support for FoCal for Mac:
|Operating System||Camera Manufacturer||Status|
|OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional but no longer officially supported – we cannot guarantee operation and will no longer fix OS X 10.6 specific issues.|
|OS X 10.7 (Lion)||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional|
|OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional|
|OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional|
|OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional|
We are no longer officially supporting OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). We will not stop FoCal working on this old operating system, but we can no longer fix any OS X 10.6 specific issues and will not be performing release testing on OS X 10.6.
FoCal 1.9.10 now uses the latest Canon support files which are officially supported on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).
The following table shows the support for FoCal for Windows:
|Operating System||Camera Manufacturer||Status|
|Windows Vista||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional|
|Windows 7||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional|
|Windows 8||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional|
|Windows 8.1||Canon & Nikon||Fully functional|
We no longer officially support Windows XP as this operating system is no longer supported by Microsoft. However, we haven’t stopped the software working on Windows XP, so you should find that it still works OK if you are using this operating system, but we cannot fix any issues that might arise only on Windows XP.
The following is additional information specific to this release:
- Enabling Anti Flicker shooting on the 7D Mark II causes the camera to disable certain features. This can cause issues with FoCal and you should make sure the camera does NOT have Anti Flicker shooting enabled.
- When focus points flash in the 7D Mark II viewfinder, they are operating at a reduced sensitivity mode – for example with an f/5.6 lens the outer focus points are sensitive to horizontal lines only. This may cause issues with the MultiPoint focus test or with testing of off-centre focus points where there may be no option but to terminate a test if focus cannot be achieved. (This issue will be resolved in FoCal 2)
- FoCal doesn’t always handle the case where Auto AF point is enabled (e.g. the zone or wide area AF modes). Please make sure that you only have a single point selected.
- Under some very rare conditions, the 7D Mark II can be left in a state where the focus point selection is not operational on the camera. If this happens, just switch the camera off and on again and all functionality is restored.
- During testing, we noticed that if you have bracketing enabled on the camera this can cause issues with tests. The effect will be pretty obvious – the test images will cycle in sets of 3 between normally exposed, under exposed and over exposed. If you notice this behaviour, please make sure that bracketing is disabled (a fix for this is already in FoCal 2 beta builds).
- The Testing Guide is somewhat out of date and we are planning a rewrite shortly. The general concepts are still very valid, but the operational information towards the end of the guide relates to older versions of FoCal.
- The File Camera functionality in FoCal is no longer being maintained. We don’t believe there are many users of this feature and we will be re-implementing the ability to run tests on files in a much more user friendly way shortly.
How do I get it?
If you already have a license for FoCal, you can download the software at no extra cost from the License Management System – you’ll see the link to the download once you log in.
If you don’t own FoCal, you can purchase FoCal Standard, FoCal Plus or FoCal Pro from the store.
MAC: The software is available as a disk image (DMG) file for OS X, containing the software itself, the target images and documentation in separate directories.
WINDOWS: The software is available as a ZIP file, which contains the software, the target images and the documentation in separate directories.
Installing on OS X (IMPORTANT!):
FoCal for Mac uses the Mono framework and this must be installed before using FoCal. Please see this post for complete information on how to ensure your Mac is set up correctly to run FoCal. If you do not follow these instructions, FoCal will NOT operate correctly!
There are short guides available which help you through the installation, connection and first use of the software available for Windows and for Mac on the Document Downloads page.